What is Biosecurity?
Biosecurity is about keeping animals healthy and safe from pathogens.
What are some components of biosecurity?
- Animal health (vaccinations, nutrition, observation and vet checks)
- Movement control
- Housing and ventilation
- Controlling humans and vectors such as pests
Tips for Visiting a Farm:
- Washing hands before and after entering a barn
- Wear appropriate footwear that should be disinfected before and after entering a barn
- Wearing protective clothing that is only worn on a farm
- Taking a shower before and after visiting a farm
- You should avoid eating, drinking and smoking in the barn
- You should stay away from a barn if you are sick to avoid spreading your germs to the animals
Zoonoses are diseases that can be passed between humans and animals. Zoonoses can be transmitted through the air, direct contact, hand/mouth contact, in contaminated food and by vectors. This is one reason way biosecurity on farms is so important. Canada is one of the most regulated food chains in the world and have high standards for food safety and quality.